Cholesterolemia is the total cholesterol in a person’s blood.
Also, the term may mean deviation from the norm, often they denote pathology. Sometimes the term means only the risk of a disease.
For such a phenomenon as cholesterolemia, assigned code E 78 according to the international classification of diseases. This classification refers to impaired lipid metabolism, endocrine system.
Cholesterol is an important substance, but its excess or deficiency can cause various diseases.
He is able to influence:
- the functioning of the hormone system and their production without failures;
- protection of cell membranes, as it is the strongest antioxidant;
- vitamin D uptake;
- complete digestion and assimilation of all important fats.
The phenomenon of cholesterol levels can cause two pathologies. - hypercholesterolemia and hypocholesterolemia. They are mainly affected by adults, due to the fact that most of the reasons are acquired.
Hypercholesterolemia is associated with elevated levels of cholesterol in the blood. It is the cause of cardiovascular diseases. It does not indicate a separate pathology, but a number of associated diseases associated with an increased level of a substance.
Hypocholesterolemia is observed in various diseases and is characterized by a lack of total cholesterol. It is extremely rare, observed in diseases of the urogenital tract, disorders of the liver, colitis, digestive problems and eating disorders.
To recognize such phenomena, you need to know everything about the signs and methods of prevention.
Most often, cholesterolemia means the possibility of increasing the level of lipids.
Just because such violations do not occur.
This requires conditions that are conducive to the accumulation of cholesterol.
- Genetic susceptibility to lipid disorders.
- Metabolic disease.
- Eating harmful foods and improper lifestyle.
- Increased body weight.
- High blood pressure.
- Prolonged exposure to stress and emotional instability.
- People of the age category 60+.
- Excess fried, fatty foods in the diet.
- Alcohol abuse.
- Lack of physical activity, sedentary lifestyle.
In addition to such factors, one can observe a tendency to increased cholesterol in people suffering from certain diseases.
They themselves melt trigger, which begins the process of accumulation of fat. It is these comorbidities that most often cause this pathology. These include type 2 diabetes; impaired liver and kidney function; disruption of the thyroid gland; long-term use of aggressive drugs.
These factors have an impact not only on the level of lipids, but also are the causes of serious diseases.
There may be several reasons for low cholesterol. Since cholesterol affects the functioning of the whole organism, a number of pathologies can also cause its lack. With low cholesterol, there is a failure of all body systems.
In general, such a phenomenon can cause:
- Violation of the hormonal background, which will lead to instability in psycho-emotional terms.
- In connection with the lack of sex hormones, infertility may occur, reducing sexual desire.
- Not enough vitamins.
- Disorder of the digestive system.
- Hemorrhage in the brain with rupture of blood vessels.
Based on this, we can conclude that stroke occurs more often in people with hypocholesterolemia. The same can be said about depressive states. In addition, experts noted that such people are prone to liver cancer, are more prone to alcoholism and drug addiction.
Causes of Low Cholesterol:
- liver disease;
- malnutrition, starvation of various kinds;
- constant psychological stress;
In addition, anemia and infections affect cholesterol levels.
If it is not diagnosed in time and treatment is not started, a number of serious pathologies may occur. It can also be the cause of their development.
For continuous health monitoring, you need to regularly undergo a comprehensive examination.
To recognize a violation at an early stage, you need to be attentive to your body.
For high levels of harmful cholesterol are characterized by the following symptoms:
- Disturbance of heartbeat.
- Discomfort, or chest pain.
- Frequent dizziness.
- Change the color of the skin.
- Numbness of the limbs and feeling pain during exercise.
- When a blood clot can suffer from lameness when walking.
This pathology is similar in symptoms to cardiovascular diseases. This is no accident, because cholesterol is the direct cause of their development. Obvious signs can be observed if the disease affects the body for quite a long time. Determining the presence of the disease itself is problematic, it is not necessary to link the possibility of its development with indirect factors, such as nutrition and lifestyle. An accurate diagnosis can only be determined by a specialist after a number of diagnostic methods.
There are not too many signs of lack of cholesterol. All of them are also indirect and indicate a serious violation. They manifest themselves when the body requires a serious medical approach. Some signs may appear in the form of:
- fatigue after minor exertion;
- an increase in the size of the lymph nodes;
- prolonged depression mixed with aggression;
- decreased libido;
- hormonal disorders;
- problems with the digestive process.
Each of the items may have a different origin, completely unrelated to hypocholesterolemia. In any case, if there are several signs, you should consult a doctor, because the condition requires treatment.
After contacting the medical facility, the doctor will prescribe a number of diagnostic measures.
From the study depends on the diagnosis and further development of the disease.
Usually, a comprehensive study includes a series of tests.
If you suspect cholesterolemia, specialists require the patient to:
- Donate blood to total cholesterol.
- Low density lipoprotein assay.
- Analysis of high-density lipoprotein.
- Genetic analysis of blood in close relatives.
- Biochemical study of blood.
- Immunological studies.
- General inspection, blood pressure measurement.
- General analysis of urine and blood.
It should be remembered that high cholesterol may be associated with pregnancy. This will confirm any doctor. These methods allow you to determine the diagnosis with maximum accuracy. After the diagnosis, the doctor prescribes a comprehensive treatment.
If the pathology is not neglected, therapy may be without medication. It includes:
- in the presence of excess weight to bring the form to a normal state;
- drawing up a unique exercise program;
- to adhere to proper nutrition, therapeutic diet, increase cholesterol will be able to reduce the amount of carbohydrates consumed;
- ban on alcohol in any quantities;
- smoking in limited quantities.
When neglecting the pathology in combination with the above points of therapy, special preparations are used.
Information about cholesterol and cholesterolemia is provided in the video in this article.