High cholesterol is extremely common in developed countries around the world. The question of how to remove cholesterol is of interest to anyone who has a metabolic syndrome. To find out what causes metabolic syndrome and how to prevent it, you need to understand what effect this substance has on the human body.
The presence of high cholesterol leads to a narrowing of the arteries due to fat deposits (this diagnosis is known as atherosclerosis). The presence of these fatty plaques leads to an increased risk of heart attack and / or stroke. Therefore, it is important to regularly check cholesterol to assess the possible risks of deterioration of health.
The prevalence of elevated total cholesterol is highest in the European Region of the World Health Organization (54% for both sexes), and then in the WHO Region of the Americas (48% for both sexes). The highest percentages were in the WHO African Region and the WHO South-East Asia Region (22.6% for PRA and 29.0% for SEAR).
Cholesterol is a type of fat that can be found in certain foods. For example:
- milk products;
- the eggs.
It can also be independently produced in the body by the liver. But, despite the negative influence of a substance, a person still needs cholesterol. It is known that certain hormones are present in the body, such as estrogen and testosterone, as well as many other important biological molecules that are produced thanks to cholesterol.
The problem is not cholesterol itself; in fact, a certain type of substance is dangerous. That it has a negative impact on human health. If we talk about how to remove bad cholesterol, it should be noted that the first thing you need to review your diet.
Consumption of certain foods that lower the level of this substance (low in fat) is not necessarily a long-term solution, since many low-fat foods have a high sugar level, which can lead to other problems, such as prediabetes. Still, dieting, in most cases, helps to cope with the problem.
The problems that arise in each person
Speaking about how to remove excess cholesterol from the body at home, you need to understand how to distinguish between good and bad type of this substance. Indeed, as mentioned above, it is impossible to completely eliminate it. The human body still needs such a component.
There are two main types of cholesterol:
- high density lipoprotein cholesterol (HDL);
- low density lipoprotein cholesterol (LDL).
HDL is essentially a "good" form of material that moves from the body's cells to the liver, where it is processed and removed from the body.
LDL is a “bad” form, very unhealthy if it is in excess. Since it is a form that moves from the liver through the arteries, to other organs and vessels. This is LDL cholesterol, which most likely clogs arteries and causes heart disease.
When the HDL / total cholesterol ratio is high (i.e., not enough HDL, too much LDL), worse cholesterol is stored and circulated in the body. This is bad news for the patient and needs to be urgently addressed. To calculate the cholesterol ratio, the amount of high-density lipoprotein (HDL or "good") should be divided by the total amount of cholesterol. The optimal ratio is less than 3.5.
After the patient and his doctor managed to make sure that there are problems with this indicator, we can begin to discuss how to remove excess cholesterol from the body at home or directly within the walls of a medical institution.
True, it is worth noting that with the right approach, you can cope with the problem yourself at home.
How to get rid of the problem?
There are several proven methods that can quickly get rid of the above problem.
Doctors usually prescribe one of six different classes of drugs. The most common are statins. They exert their effect by inhibiting the activity of enzymes, leading to a decrease in the content of the substance in the liver, which, in turn, leads to an up-regulation of the liver receptors. It also increases the clearance of LDL cholesterol. The main side effects are muscle complications and an increased risk of developing diabetes. Different statins have completely different drug interactions.
Bile acid sequestrants reduce the level of LDL cholesterol by 10-30% by reducing the absorption of bile acids in the intestine. Which stimulates the synthesis of bile acids from cholesterol, leads to a decrease in the content of liver cholesterol and an increase in the regulation of liver LDL receptors. Bile acid sequestrants can be difficult to use because they reduce the absorption of several drugs, increase triglyceride levels and cause constipation and other side effects.
The liver plays an important role in the regulation of this substance in the body. And, looking at the way of activity of these medicines, it makes sense to simply use various methods of cleansing the liver to reduce the level of the above-mentioned component.
Of course, there is not always a guarantee that this method will be fast.
What do experts recommend?
To reduce the harmful type of component, you can use six known. And to achieve the desired result will turn out naturally. People who have cardiovascular health risks, such as high cholesterol or high blood pressure, should make life changes and lifestyle changes to improve their health.
Diet and lifestyle changes should be the basis of any cholesterol reduction plan. The inclusion of the following simple changes in diet and lifestyle, will successfully reduce high cholesterol for life. Especially this condition should be met if the patient is older. So, excess cholesterol can be removed if:
- Reduce intake of acidic foods, such as sugar, coffee, red meat and processed carbohydrates.
- There are more soluble fibers. It is enough to add 5-10 g of product per day.
- Reduce trans fatty acid intake. These are margarine, butter containing canola, and oils for frying. They usually contain trans-fatty acids, and should be avoided. It is important to remember that when a patient consumes large amounts of unsaturated fat, he needs to minimize the intake of trans fat. The main sources of which are margarine, baked products, such as crackers, cookies, donuts and bread, as well as products fried in hydrogenated oils.
- It should consume more plant sterols. It is enough to add 2 grams of product per day. This is food made from corn and soy. That it contains sterols.
- Reduce the intake of saturated fat by adding only lean meat to food, as well as increasing the good fats that can be obtained from fish and nuts.
You need to follow the principles of the Mediterranean diet, because this style of food was found to be useful for lowering cholesterol and managing it. This diet consists of fresh fish, whole grains, fresh fruits and vegetables, olive oil and garlic.
In addition to the medical method of treatment, as well as therapy with the help of menu correction, you can also clean the liver with herbs. There are many tips to help remove bad cholesterol from the body. True, it should be remembered that reducing the content of a substance with the help of a folk remedy should be aware of possible side effects.
Therefore, it is better to consult with your doctor in advance. Especially when it comes to an old man, or a pregnant woman. We must not forget that such a medicine can be no less dangerous than an ordinary pill.
The following herbs will help:
- Cinnamon is a lipid effect, a diminishing effect has been shown in clinical trials.
- Cayenne Reducing cholesterol and triglycerides can be enhanced by consuming Cayenne.
- Ginger. It has been shown to have both anti-diabetic and hypolipidemic (cholesterol-lowering) properties.
- Garlic. There is consistent evidence that garlic intake reduces the risk factors for cardiovascular diseases, including lowering LDL cholesterol.
- Turmeric (curcumin) and black pepper. This combination is an effective adjuvant therapy in patients with metabolic syndrome and may reduce the level of the substance described above in the blood.
- Papaya. Properly prescribed dose of the product will help inhibit total cholesterol (TS), triglycerides (TG), low-density lipoprotein (LDL) levels and significantly increase the level of high-density lipoproteins (HDL).
The study showed that total cholesterol was significantly reduced from 252 +/- 39 mg / dl before treatment to 239 +/- 37 mg / dl after 3 weeks of treatment with the above plants.
What else can be used for treatment?
Milk Thistle - one animal study found that silymarin worked as efficiently as probucol, which lowered cholesterol levels, and with the added benefit of significantly increasing good HDL cholesterol.
Based on recent baseline and clinical studies, it has been shown that artichoke leaf extract (Cynarascolymus) is used to reduce hepatoprotective cholesterol.
Another effective remedy that also helps to clean the walls of the arteries, and reduce the above substances in the body, is Turkish rhubarb. Scientists have suggested that emodin, produced from Turkish rhubarb, has potential value for treating hypercholesterolemia (high cholesterol). The underlying mechanism is probably related to the binding ability to bile acids and the subsequent increase in the expression of cholesterol-lowering enzymes.
Also no less useful is a dandelion. The results of the experiments showed that treatment with the help of dandelion root and leaves has a positive effect on plasma antioxidant enzyme activity and lipid profiles, and, therefore, may have potential lipid-lowering and antioxidant effects.
Even in this list is aloe vera.
Studies show that oral aloe vera may be a useful supplement for lowering blood glucose levels in patients with diabetes, as well as lowering blood lipids in patients with hyperlipidemia.
How to help your body?
Of course, to cope with this problem, a person needs to radically change their lifestyle.
In addition to the fact that he should pass all the necessary tests, and undergo a full examination by a specialist, it is important to regularly follow the recommendations of your doctor.
They are based both on the admission of special medicines, and on certain popular methods.
This list includes:
- Slimming If you are overweight, losing extra pounds is an important part of lowering bad cholesterol. In this case, you need to revise your diet.
- Move more. Daily physical activity is vital for improving the cardiovascular system, maintaining weight and maintaining a healthy life. You can start with everyday walking.
- Make some key lifestyle changes. It is important to consider risk factors such as stress and smoking, since they can seriously increase the risk of cardiovascular diseases.
In addition, it is recommended to conduct regular testing of cholesterol levels. Regular testing of cholesterol helps to inform the patient and the doctor about how the treatment is progressing, and also gives the motivation to adhere to a new lifestyle.
How to clear the vessels of cholesterol plaques is described in the video in this article.