Pregnancy - the natural state of the female body. But in order to properly bear the fruit and give birth to a full-fledged baby, the health of the expectant mother requires careful treatment.
This is especially true of nutrition. It is better that a woman's diet includes only natural substances and products.
Accordingly, any synthetic analogs must be taken very carefully. For example, is it possible to use a sugar substitute during pregnancy, or is it better to refrain from using it?
There are different opinions. It all depends on the evidence, the health status of the woman, the individual tolerance of specific chemical compounds and other factors.
Is it possible for pregnant sweetener?
Bearing a child, the expectant mother is always trying to do him no harm. And for this she needs to know exactly which substances are less dangerous. In particular, we are talking about sweets that are of little use, but many can not do without them.
Here are options when replacing sugar with some analogs is still justified:
- the woman already had diabetes before becoming pregnant;
- after conceiving a child her blood glucose level jumped sharply;
- with a strong degree of obesity, when overweight mother can disrupt the development of the fetus.
If a woman is just a little plumper, then this is not an indication for the use of sugar substitutes. It is better to adjust the diet and perform special exercises. This will only benefit both the mother and the unborn baby.
What sweeteners can be consumed during pregnancy?
Currently, there are many substances and compounds that have a sweet taste. Not all of them are harmless. This is especially important if a woman who plans to take sugar substitutes is expecting a baby. The main principle that should guide the expectant mother is the naturalness of the product.
Here is a list of sweeteners derived from natural raw materials:
- stevia - A plant, in popular speech called "honey grass". Sweeter than usual sugar more than 200 times. Contains a variety of trace elements, vitamins and amino acids, essential for pregnant women. Normalizes the heart, strengthens blood vessels, regulates blood glucose, cholesterol, removes radionuclides, boosts immunity, restores digestion and nervous system, is a strong sedative. Scientists have repeatedly checked whether this substance does not at least do any harm. But so far nothing has been revealed;
- xylitol - sweetener, which is made on the basis of the wood of some hardwoods, fruits, berries and other plant components. In terms of sweetness, it is not inferior to ordinary granulated sugar, but its caloric content is even higher. Xylitol restores the microflora of the mouth, does not allow caries to develop, has bactericidal properties. The main contraindication is problems with the gastrointestinal tract;
- fructose - A popular sweetener derived from berries and fruits. Tones, gives vivacity and energy. Not recommended for women who have heart disease;
- Novasvit. It is made from natural ingredients, contains fructose and sorbitol, vitamins C, E, P, and minerals. This drug has no specific contraindications, it can be taken during pregnancy. The main thing - to comply with the dosage.
There are other natural sugar substitutes, not so common. And it is not necessary to use synthesized substances. The same honey is very useful for pregnant women, but only for those who do not have diabetes.
Sugar substitutes, contraindicated for expectant mothers
There are substances that can not be consumed during pregnancy. As a rule, these include compounds obtained by chemical means and not having any relation to natural products.
Here is a list of the most common sweeteners from which expectant mothers should refuse:
- sodium cyclamate - synthetic substance. Often used in the food industry under the code E952. In the United States is prohibited, as its toxicity and carcinogenic effects have already been proven. Not recommended not only to pregnant women, but in general to all people;
- saccharin - a fairly common product. It is strictly contraindicated during pregnancy, as it passes freely through the placental barrier and adversely affects the development of the fetus. It can also cause bladder cancer;
- Sladis. Especially popular among Russian diabetics. Contains vitamins and minerals necessary for this disease. One tablet approximately corresponds to a teaspoon of sugar. Not a bad drug, but pregnancy in any trimester is among the contraindications;
- FitParad - one of the most popular sweeteners, has a complex composition, is made from natural and synthetic substances. Not recommended for pregnant and lactating women. With long-term use can cause stomach diseases;
- Milford. It contains saccharin and sodium cyclamate. It can not be taken during the entire period of pregnancy and feeding, as the substance is harmful to the development of the fetus and for an already born child. It has a carcinogenic and toxic effect.
In addition to the usual contraindications, the most important of which is pregnancy, there is also an individual intolerance to the drugs themselves and the individual components that make up them.
Usage guidelines and precautions
Perfectly safe sweeteners do not exist. This is especially important to consider during pregnancy. But, if it is better to forget about synthetic sugar substitutes for expectant mothers, you can take natural ones.
The main thing is not to exceed the daily dosage set by the manufacturer (maximum values are indicated here):
- stevia - 40 g;
- xylitol - 50 g. If a woman takes more than this amount, there will be no serious poisoning. The worst is diarrhea;
- fructose - 40 g. If you regularly exceed this dosage, diabetes, heart and vascular problems may begin;
- Novasvit - 2 tablets.
Doctors reviewsAmong nutritional experts, the issue of the safety of sugar substitutes is constantly being raised.
Particularly acute is the problem of the toxicity of sweeteners and the ability to cause cancer.
The results of this debate are mixed. Absolutely accurate and scientifically based data on the dangers of such substances and compounds are not available. The only exception is aspartame, since its toxicity data are registered.
Practicing doctors recommend using sugar substitutes with caution. Especially when it comes to pregnant patients. If a woman cannot do without them, doctors advise choosing natural sweeteners.
In most reviews, such recommendations sound like a compromise. Doctors do not approve of their use. But, at least, natural sugar substitutes do not cause specialists such negative as synthetic.
As for the opinions of women themselves, they are more concerned with the taste of a particular product. In forums where future mothers communicate, it is rarely discussed whether such substances can be taken in their condition.
Is it possible for pregnant sweetener? The answer in the video:
Of course, during pregnancy, you can completely abandon any sweeteners. But, if a woman cares so much about her health, she will have to eliminate sugar from the diet, since it is also harmful.
Full rejection of sweet - this is extreme. Among sweeteners there are those that will not harm either the mother or her unborn baby. In any case, consultation is necessary specialist.