In the countries of the East and the Mediterranean, cereals called bulgur received wide popularity. It is added to various dishes, including the first, and also prepared as a garnish.
In our country, croup appeared recently and many do not know about its properties. However, it is not only an unusual product, but also a source of many useful substances necessary for the body.
Moreover, bulgur in diabetes is an indispensable product that you should definitely include in the diet, following certain rules. More details will be discussed later in the article.
A bit of history
Bulgur, some ethnic groups are called differently. This and Bulgore, Burgul, Gurgul. By nature, bulgur is a grain of dairy wheat. To get such cereals, the grains need to be steamed, then dried in the sun and cleaned of debris. The final stage is the crushing of grain in special machines. The finished cereal has a slightly nutty flavor and a mild flavor.
There are two types of bulgur, namely:
- pillavlikhaving a large size, used for side dishes and pilaf;
- kofteliksmall size, added to salads, dolma, meatballs.
They also make semolina and couscous, which are distinguished by fine and medium grinding. Another distinctive feature of the Bulgur is the preliminary heat treatment, due to which the taste improves and the porridge becomes crumbly.
Known for this product for over 4000 years. In the national cuisine of India, the countries of the Mediterranean and the East, bulgur is a part of many dishes. Groats appeared in Europe several centuries ago, and only then in Russia. It was brought by the Maghreb merchants, who greatly honored and appreciated this product. The grain was delivered along with jewels and spices, even though it took up a lot of space.
Composition, calorie, glycemic index
The composition of bulgur is very rich in vitamins and microelements, which are also important for people with diabetes that require a special diet.
So, croup contains the following components:
- cellulose, ash;
- mono- and disaccharides;
- vitamins (A, B, E, K, P);
- fatty acid;
- organic fibers;
- Riboflavin, choline, lysine, pyridoxine;
- trace elements (phosphorus, potassium, magnesium, sodium, iron, calcium, copper, selenium, zinc).
Caloric content of the product is from 340 to 365 kcal. It differs depending on the type of wheat, the method of drying. Bulgur glycemic index has a low. The GI table indicates that it is equal to 47 units. And the glycemic index of boiled bulgur is 50-55 units.
Useful properties of cereals
The beneficial properties of Bulgur are vast, they, along with a pleasant taste, make it increasingly popular and in demand around the world. They are as follows:
- ensures the maintenance of the cardiovascular system due to the large amount of folic acid and vitamin B6. Components help to reduce the level of homocysteine, which becomes the key to strengthening the walls of blood vessels. As a result, the risk of stroke or heart attack is significantly reduced;
- contributes to the prevention of cancer, especially tumors in the esophagus, colon, breast. This property is ensured by the presence of a sufficient amount of fiber in the product;
- prevents the formation of gallstones by reducing the load on the liver through plant fibers. It also allows you to regulate blood glucose levels, increases the effectiveness of insulin in diabetes. In addition, a positive effect is noticeable in relation to the intestinal mucosa. The digestive system returns to normal, and chronic constipation no longer bother;
- increases the concentration of magnesium in its deficiency, as well as other nutrients that make up the product;
- prevents the appearance of anemia, bone diseases, problems in the heart and nervous system due to the presence of betaine. This component, together with folic acid, is the key to the absence of many serious diseases, such as Alzheimer's disease, osteoporosis;
- prevents the appearance of anemia, lethargy, apathy, early gray hair due to the concentration of copper in the composition;
- helps with losing weight. Although burgur is high-calorie, but very nutritious, and a small amount of cereal is enough to saturate the body. In addition, due to the long-term disintegration of the product, hunger does not appear soon, which eliminates the need for additional snacking. Also, when cooking does not require a lot of sugar or salt, it is not at all necessary to use butter or milk;
- accelerates metabolism and increases endurance due to fiber in the composition, accelerating the metabolism and cleansing the body of toxins. High calorie can quickly restore power at high load;
- external use in the form of a face mask or body scrub. If you add egg and honey to the croup, you get a wrinkle treatment for the neckline and neck.
Contraindications and harmIs bulgur possible with type 2 diabetes? Bulgur is a very useful croup, especially since it should be used by people with type 1 and type 2 diabetes.
However, any product has contraindications, in case of neglect of which you can harm the body.
Regarding those who want to lose weight, it has already been said that it is often not recommended to use bulgur in case of diabetes mellitus type 2, and even more so in large quantities.
At the same time, due to the property of quickly saturating the body, it is unlikely that you want to eat much of it, despite its pleasant taste. It is worth remembering that the composition of this cereal also includes gluten, which is considered a strong allergen. Those who have individual intolerance to this component, it is undesirable to use bulgur, otherwise they face dyspepsia, flatulence, drowsiness, weakness.
It is necessary to exclude from the diet product and when there are digestive disorders, gastritis, any other inflammatory processes of the gastrointestinal tract.
How to use?
Due to its beneficial properties, Bulgur is recommended for diabetics.
At the same time you need to follow some rules. This product can be a main dish as a side dish, as well as complementary, when it is added to salads.
Quite often, it is fried in a pan and add butter. It gives a nutty smell. However, people with diabetes, it is better to exclude this method of preparation.
It is best to cook the cereal in this situation. The proportion should be 1: 3 with respect to water. Add only salt and cook until crumbly. From such porridge you can cook meatballs or add it to the salad, to the soup.
In addition to the usual boiled porridge for garnish, you can cook a lot of interesting dietary dishes with bulgur. We describe a few simple recipes.
For the dish "Bulgur in Turkish" you will need the following:
- 300 gr. Bulgur;
- 1 eggplant;
- 1 Bulgarian pepper;
- 7 cherry tomatoes;
- 3 cloves of garlic and 1 onion;
- 600 ml low-fat meat broth;
- a bunch of parsley and dill;
- seasonings and vegetable oil.
To prepare the dish, boil the cereal on the second broth until cooked (about 25 minutes). It is necessary to cut the vegetables: eggplants in 2 cm cubes, tomatoes in half, garlic in thin slices, pepper in strips. All vegetables, with the exception of garlic, must be placed in a pan with oil.
They need about a minute to fry on high heat, and then reduce the fire and simmer under the lid. Add garlic in a few minutes before readiness. Then porridge, salt, seasonings and greens are added to vegetables. All must be mixed, removed from heat, and then insist 15 minutes under the lid.
It is very tasty to use burgur for the pepper filling on the grill. Ingredients will need the following:
- 2 bell peppers;
- 150 gr. boiled bulgur;
- 100 gr. Adyghe cheese;
- 1 tbsp. l walnuts;
- 1 clove garlic;
- 1 tbsp. l low-fat sour cream;
- vegetable oil.
To prepare the dish, you will need to grate the grated cheese, crush the nuts, skip the garlic through a press and mix everything, salt the products. Pepper is cut into two halves and remove the seeds. It needs to be stuffed and baked on the grill.
Quinoa with type 2 diabetes - the product is almost indispensable. Croup has a low glycemic index, prolongs the saturation of the body from food and contributes to lowering blood sugar.
Many have probably heard about the benefits of legumes for diabetics. What kind of benefits brings beans in diabetes and how to use it, read this article.
What is bulkgur and what is its chemical composition? Answers in the video:
Thus, bulgur deserves attention for inclusion in the diet of each person, since its beneficial properties are quite significant for the body. Especially it concerns people with diabetes, as this product is also able to regulate the level of glucose in the blood, increase the effectiveness of insulin. At the same time, bulgur and type 2 diabetes are not the most compatible things. Often eat cereal is not necessary because of the strong nutritional value and caloric content.